More than 130,000 students come to study in Canada every year. In addition to this number are many more that come to Canada to learn English or French. Foreign students bring a rich culture to our classrooms. Your knowledge and skills are welcome in our schools.
The provinces regulate education and schools in Canada. For more detailed information on living and studying in a specific province or territory, contact the school where you wish to study.
Studying in another country can be an adventure and a challenge. Read about what to consider before applying for a Study Permit, how to apply, work opportunities for foreign students and find other important information.
All persons who want to study in Canada need to apply for a student authorization and obtain the written approval of a visa officer.
To apply for an authorization you must:
- Have a valid passport
- Have a letter of acceptance from an educational institution
- Have enough money to support yourself
- Complete an application form and
- Pay a fee
Who needs a study permit?
Not everyone needs a Study Permit to study in Canada. Find out if you need a Study Permit or a Temporary Resident Visa.
What are the basic requirements for student authorization?
You must satisfy the visa officer that you meet the requirements of the Canadian Immigration Act and Regulations and that you will be in Canada for a temporary stay.
You must also:
- Satisfy a visa officer that you will be able to return to your country or be admitted to another country after your studies.
- Have been unconditionally accepted by an approved educational institution.
- Have enough money during your stay in Canada to pay for Tuition fees/ Living expenses for yourself and accompanying dependants and Return transportation for yourself and accompanying dependants.
- Be law abiding and have no record of criminal activity (you may be asked to provide a Police Clearance Certificate) Not be a risk to the security of Canada.
- Produce any additional documents requested by the visa officer to establish your admissibility Complete a medical examination, if required.
- Pay the tuition fee
When should I apply?
The time required to process an application to study in Canada may vary at different visa offices. You should apply as early as possible, and allow at least six months to plan and prepare for your move.
Note: Canadian universities suggest you apply for admission at least one year in advance of your planned arrival.